The floor jack is a must-have machine for every mechanic—professional or amateur. Here we will review the jacks available on the market today to find the best floor jack out there.
Best Floor Jack FAQ
Before lifting the best floor jack up for comparison, we first need to discuss what the best floor jack is. If you want to know the difference between jack types, the basics for how a floor jack works, and what materials they are made from, start with these frequently asked questions about floor jacks.
What Is a Floor Jack?
A floor jack is a mechanical tool used for raising a vehicle from the ground in order to change tires or make repairs. A floor jack is strong; it can easily lift substantial weights.
Floor jacks come in a variety of sizes for a variety of uses. Professional mechanics use the best floor jack in heavier weights while driveway mechanics often choose smaller, more lightweight floor jacks because they are better for storing and transporting.
What Are Some Types of Jacks?
There are a variety of different jack types used for different purposes. The two functioning types of jacks are mechanical jacks and hydraulic jacks.
Hydraulic jacks use a combination of a cylinder, hydraulic liquid, and pump to lift the weight of a vehicle. The hydraulic liquid moves through tubes creating a force that leads to a buildup of pressure. This pressure makes lifting objects much easier because less physical force is required by the person or machine doing the lifting.
For any jack to work, it needs an external force to guide it. Hydraulic jacks can have a manual or mechanically operated lifting function. These jacks are used not only in the automotive industry but also in construction and fabrication.
Mechanical jacks rely exclusively on manual force to raise and lower weight. They are simple machines with a mighty purpose. Mechanical jacks are those found in car trunks around the world.
Professional garages also use mechanical jacks for lifting loads. Mechanical jacks sometimes come with a self-lock for safety. They can’t lift as much weight and are not always appropriate to use.
What Types of Jacks Were Reviewed?
As mentioned, hydraulic floor jacks are the choice for car pros. Any mechanic, garage, or car workshop will have a floor jack or service jack as they are otherwise known as. In terms of strength, durability, and versatility, floor jacks are king. There are three subcategories of floor jacks.
On wheels, floor jacks are referred to as trolley jacks. The wheels allow the jack to slide into the lift position smoothly. In the description look for swivel wheels or castors to help angle the jack more precisely.
Types of Jacks Were Not Reviewed?
Named for its shape, the powerful bottle jack is also found in professional car workshops. Piston-powered bottle jacks lift heavy weights by using minimal force. These jacks are the go-to choice for lifting extra heavy machinery and vehicles with extra high clearances.
Scissor jacks are commonly provided with the spare in a new car. These jacks function with help from a screw that propels or lowers a pair of diamond-shaped links. They are only suitable for changing tires and not appropriate for hoisting the car up for repairs.
How Does a Floor Jack Work?
A hydraulic floor jack works through pressurized hydraulic fluid. Raising the floor jack handles releases fluid from dual inbuilt tubes that stream into the cylinder. The cylinder encases a piston. The piston moves with the upstroke to draw in more hydraulic fluid. On the downward handle stroke, the manually exerted force exerted pressurizes this fluid. The pressurized fluid helps to raise the vehicle.
What Are Floor Jacks Made From?
Floor jacks are typically made from either steel, aluminum, or a combination of both. Sometimes floor jacks incorporate cast iron into the construction for durability. Aluminum jacks are lighter than those made from steel, but may not be as durable over time.
Where Can You Buy the Best Floor Jack?
Amazon sells every brand of floor jack imaginable. They are also available from retailers both online and in brick-and-mortar locations.
How We Reviewed
These floor jacks were reviewed based on their features, pros and cons, and warranty information. The best floor jacks are easy to use, durable, safe, and found in an appropriate price category.
What We Reviewed
Arcan ALJ2T Aluminum Floor Jack
- 2-ton capacity while only weighing 50.4 pounds
- Only 3-1/2 inch height required to get under low loads
- Two-stage quick lift
- Maximum lift height: 19-1/4 inches
- Meets or exceeds ANSI/ASME and PALD standards
The Arcan ALJ2T weighs 50 pounds and lifts up to two-tons of weight. It has a two-stage quick lift and has a range from 3.5 inches extending up to 19.25 inches, making it suitable for a variety of profiles.
Arcan jacks including the Arcan ALJ2T are backed by a one-year limited warranty.
Arcan XL2T Low Profile Steel Service Jack
- COLORS MAY VARY: XL2T = A20016
- LIFT RANGE Provides the lowest low height (2 75”) and the highest high height (24”) compared to the average jack
- LOW PROFILE FRAME For easy access under low ground clearance vehicles
- DUAL PUMP PISTONS Quickly raises the floor jack saddle to load
- STEEL CONSTRUCTION For heavy duty use
The Arcan XL2T Low Profile Steel Service Jack is a heavy 97-pound jack capable of lifting up to two-tons. It has a height range of 2.75 inches to 24 inches. This jack comes with a universal joint release and 32-inch handle for accurate placement. The dual pump design makes for a quick lift.
The Arcan XL2T is covered by a limited one-year warranty.
Milestone Tools Powerzone 380044 Aluminum & Steel Jack
- Rated capacity: 3 Ton (6000 pounds) with lift range 4 inch to 18-1/4 inch
- Jack is made of light weight aluminum frame to reduce product weight and increase portability, and is equipped with heavy duty steel lift arm for strength and durability
- Quick lifting hydraulic system saves time and is equipped with safety valve to prevent overloading beyond rated capacity
- Rubber padded saddle protects vehicle frame
- Rear wheels swivel for easy positioning
The Milestone Tools Powerzone 380044 Aluminum and Steel Garage Jack has a 6,000-pound capacity and a lift range from 4 to 18.25 inches. Rear swivel wheels make positioning this jack a breeze. It comes with a rubber padded saddle and a safety valve. It weighs 59 pounds.
The packaging presents a one-year warranty claim. Check with the retailer before purchasing for more explicit warranty information.
JEGS 80006 Low-Profile Aluminum Floor Jack
- LIGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM CONSTRUCTION allows you to roll jack around with ease
- LOW PROFILE DESIGN lifts from 3 ½ to 19 ¼ inches
- 360 DEGREE ROTATING SADDLE allows for easier movement
- RUBBER LIFT PAD prevents marring of surfaces
- OPTIONAL JACK SKID available separately to use safely on dirt, gravel, and grass
The JEGS 80006 Low-Profile Aluminum Floor Jack can lift up to 4,000 pounds. It’s an ultra-lightweight aluminum jack that weighs just over 50 pounds. The JEGS 80006 rotates a full 360 degrees. It comes with double side handles and a 50-inch, two-piece main handle for proper positioning.
Check with the vendor about the warranty terms for the JEGS 80006 before completing your purchase. The JEGS website mentions a warranty but does not give specific terms.
Neiko Pro 20272B Premium Low Profile Aluminum Floor Jack
- Constructed from durable industrial grade aluminum alloy with ultra lightweight design
- Powerful 3 tons lifting capacity, weighting only 57 pounds
- Dual plunger structure provides quicker and more efficient lifting from 3-3/4” min. height to 19-1/4” max. height
- Equipped with safety valve to prevent overloading beyond rated capacity for extra security
- Rubber dotted saddle pad protects your vehicle’s frame and chassis from scratches and dents
The Neiko Pro 20272B Premium Low Profile Aluminum Floor Jack is made from industrial-grade aluminum alloy. The jack weighs in at 57 pounds and can lift up to 3-tons. The dual plungers make lifting quick and easy. This jack comes with swivel rear casters, a rubber dotted saddle pad and a built-in safety valve. It’s suitable for cars and SUVs in the shop or garage and roadside.
Ask the retailer about warranty information before buying the Neiko Pro 20272B Premium Low Profile Aluminum Floor Jack.
Hein-Werner HW93642 Blue Hydraulic Service Jack
- Made in the USA
- Cast iron lift arm and pump base for strength
- U-joint for precise load control
- Sealed hydraulic pump
- Flagged side plates and wide frame for stability
The Hein-Werner HW93642 Blue Hydraulic Service Jack comes from a long line of best floor jack models. This jack can lift up to two-tons and has a sealed hydraulic pump. The handle and handle base are both made from cast iron. This heavy-duty jack weighs 99 pounds.
A two-year warranty applies for the Hein-Werner HW93642 jack.
OTC 1532 Aluminum Racing Jack Kit
- Made from aircraft-grade aluminum lifts two tons and weighs only 43 lbs
- Five pumps to maximum height of 18 inch
- Low profile 3-1/2 inch makes it perfect for ground hugging high performance cars
- Two-piece 45 inch long handle snaps together for quick setup
- Removable rubber saddle pad protects vehicle and prevents slipping
The OTC 1532 Aluminum Racing Jack Kit can lift two-tons. The kit comes with dual two-ton jack stands. This jack uses double piston action and reaches heights of 18 inches. It comes with a removable rubber saddle. The OTC 1532 is suitable for low-profile cars. It weighs around 56 pounds.
The OTC 1532 comes with the OTC Lifetime Marathon Warranty; however, many buyers experience problems when returning the product. Discuss the warranty terms for this product with the seller before buying.
Performance Tool W1627 Capacity Low Profile Service Jack
- 4,000 lb. capacity with a 5-1/4" to 13" lift range.
- Steel lifting saddle with 360 degree swivel.
- Over load protection bypass valve for safety
- Durable flanged steel frame.
- Great for cars and light duty trucks.
The Performance Tool W1627 Low Profile Service jack can handle up to 7,000 pounds of weight. The steel frame has rubber saddle pads, features swivel casters, and a dual pump design. The Performance Tool W1627 weighs 85 pounds.
Check warranty information with the seller of the Performance Tool W1627 before buying.
Powerbuilt 620422E Heavy Duty Triple Lift Jack
- This is highly durable
- Patented design features both a removable Lift saddle and padded Lift rails
- Lifting capacity of 4, 000 pounds
- Locking safety bar holds jack in place once raised
- Easily lifts cars, trucks, atvs or removing/replacing transmissions or differentials.Handle Length:40 inches
The Powerbuilt 620422E Heavy Duty Triple Lift Jack has a weight capacity of 4,000 pounds and accommodates cars and light trucks. It has a locking safety bar mechanism to secure the raised jack. This jack weighs 85 pounds.
Warranty information for the Powerbuilt 620422E is unclear. Discuss warranty terms with the vendor before purchasing. Many people have had warranty problems with this jack.
Blackhawk B6350 Black/Red Fast Lift Service Jack
- Built-in internal safety valve and vent plug ensures safe operation
- Swivel saddle provides easy jack positioning and user safety.Saddle Diameter: 4 inch
- 3.5-ton/7,000 lb. lift capacity
- Jack Size: 28 1/2" L x 13 3/4" W x 6 1/2" H
- Rugged universal joint for precise load control
The Blackhawk B6350 Fast Lift Service Jack has a 3.5 ton capacity with Fast Lifting Technology. It’s made from heavy-duty steel and comes with a built-in safety valve and bypass to prevent the dangers posed by over-pumping. This model comes with a swivel saddle for easy positioning. The Blackhawk B6350 weighs 85 pounds.
From the date of purchase, there is a one-year warranty for the Blackhawk B6350.
All the jacks on this list can get a job done. High-quality materials were used to make each jack on the list. Yet, only one can be the best floor jack on the market. It was a tough choice to make with all the exceptional options available.
Overall, the best floor jack is The Arcan ALJ2T Aluminum Floor Jack. It has the best height range, the quickest response time, maximum durability, and it’s easy to use. This jack is found in a comfortable upper mid-range price and it is backed by a one-year warranty.
Last update on 2021-01-19 at 05:48 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API