If you have suspicions that your car has a bad catalytic converter, you may find yourself asking, “how long can you drive with a bad catalytic converter?” How long you drive your car may depend on the underlying causes and signs of a bad catalytic converter. If a bad catalytic converter causes severe issues that prevent the vehicle from running safely, then it is best you don’t drive your car until the issues are addressed.
How Does a Catalytic Converter Work?
The catalytic converter is a central part of the exhaust system. It uses the process of combustion to break down three unburned gases: nitric oxide, carbon monoxide, and unburned hydrocarbons. These gasses are harmful to people and can cause smog. The catalyst is typically made of materials like copper, platinum, and palladium.
Once the car has been started, these gasses travel through the honeycomb-like inner structure of the catalytic converter. At roughly 800 degrees Fahrenheit, the catalytic converter uses this heat to convert the toxic gasses into safer elements and compounds like water, oxygen, and carbon dioxide.
What Causes a Bad Catalytic Converter?
High mileage is a common cause of catalytic converter issues. Other causes include head gasket or intake manifold leaks, worn spark plugs, and issues with the ignition system. If the ignition does not get enough spark to the plugs, the catalytic converter cannot do its job. The cause could be more serious, such as with a jumped timing chain or worn piston rings; these issues let air and gas out in the wrong areas at the wrong times.
What Are the Signs of a Bad Catalytic Converter?
If you are wondering how long you can drive with a bad catalytic converter, it may help to review the signs of a bad catalytic converter.
- AUTOSAVER88 brand new universal fit catalytic converter is designed to meet or even exceed OE quality and performance standards without sacrificing flow rate.
- Features heavy-duty stainless steel construction, internal ceramic substrates and catalyst coating have been carefully engineered for maximum efficiency.
- Standard 2.5" inside diameter inlet/outlet, 11" overall length, universal for vehicles with 2.5 inches outer diameter exhaust pipe.
- Genuine EPA certification, every catalytic converter body is stamped with exclusive EPA number. Federal EPA standard catalytic converters are backed 5 years or 50,000 miles limited warranty.
- Non CARB compliant ( illegal for use in California ), OBD II compliant ( for 1996 and newer vehicles ); Installing may require cutting and welding, please consider professional operation.
How Long Can You Drive with a Bad Catalytic Converter?
The catalytic converter will typically last the duration of the car’s life. However, this is not always the case. Most problems with the catalytic converter do not stop the car from functioning. If the catalytic converter is completely plugged, you probably shouldn’t drive your car at all. If you live in a place that requires smog checks, you will not be able to legally drive your car and will need to have the converter replaced.
Over time, if your engine is running or burning too much oil, you may notice a burning smell and possibly smoke due to the burning of the inner fiber of the catalytic converter. If this smell does not bother you, drive away. The amount of time you spend driving will affect how long can you drive with a bad catalytic converter.
- EPA OBDII COMPLIANT - This catalytic converter is designed to meet or exceed Federal EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) OBDII emissions requirements in compliance with legal standards for federally registered vehicles. NOT for use in California or Colorado
- KEEP THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OFF - This MagnaFlow HM grade catalytic converter has been engineered to satisfy the vehicle computer control monitoring requirements for the specific applications listed. Such exacting standards keep the check engine light off while guaranteeing reliable long-term performance
- STAINLESS STEEL CONSTRUCTION - The utilization of highly corrosion resistant stainless-steel construction and MagnaFlow’s cutting-edge CNC precision robotic manufacturing techniques ensure consistently perfect fitment, reliable performance and superior longevity
- 5 YEAR / 50,000-MILE LIMITED WARRANTY - Worry-free ownership is made possible thanks to the 5 year/50,000-mile construction and 25,000-mile emissions warranty included with this MagnaFlow catalytic converter
- UNIVERSAL FIT - MagnaFlow recommends professional installation for the universal configuration of this catalytic converter as cutting, fabrication and/or welding may be required. In addition, we suggest contacting the official MagnaFlow Exhaust Products seller account to confirm there’s no issue selecting your vehicle in Amazon’s system to ensure it is the correct fit
It is not too dangerous if you continue to drive your car despite noticing signs of a bad catalytic converter. The car can be driven as usual if only some of the parts of the converter are plugged. As long as the catalyst is not completely plugged and you live in an area that does not require smog tests, you are likely safe to keep driving your car as long as you want.
Last update on 2021-10-26 at 20:38 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API