The tool which is at the heart of the most common emergency roadside repair you are likely to undertake is the lug nut wrench. The dreaded but ubiquitous flat tire may strike anyone, anywhere, at any time.
Every vehicle originally comes equipped with a lug nut wrench, so that is good enough, right? Not necessarily! Car manufacturers may give you a tool like obd2 scanners but it may not be enough at the time to get the job done as they have no compunctions about skimping on some items like spares and lug nut wrenches. Some over tightened or corroded lug nuts and too short a wrench handle may conspire against you. Perhaps you are showing up to help a friend or be ..a good Samaritan, but they have no lug nut wrench and your lug nut wrench is the wrong size.
The obvious answer to these and any other problems is having a quality aftermarket wrench with the necessary bells and whistles to get the job done with as little effort and frustration as possible.
What to Look for in a Lug Nut Wrench
What Are Some Good Wrenches to Lug Around?
Performance Tool W7 4 Way Folding Lug Wrench
- Heavy duty drop forged steel
- Chrome plated to resist corrosion
- Folds down for compact storage
- Metric sizes 17mm, 19mm, 21mm and 23mm
- SIZES: See included images for sizes and quantities included
The Performance Tool W7 4 Way Folding Lug Wrench stows easily since it folds and will fit 4 different sizes of lug nuts. It comes in three different sizes to fit your particular needs and can provide plenty of strength and leverage when the need arises. It fits Metric sizes 17mm, 19mm, 21mm and 23mm and SAE sizes, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8.
Powerbuilt 940558 14″ Universal Lug Wrench
- Fits SAE lug nuts: 11/16", 3/4", 13/16" 7/8"
- Fits metric lug nuts: 17mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm
- Affordable quality
- Strong and dependable enough to last a lifetime
- Chrome plated lug wrench
The Powerbuilt 940558 14″ Universal Lug Wrench is a traditional 4-Way lug nut wrench which means it does not stow away easily but on the other hand, all four sizes of the lug nuts it fits are all on one tool, no pieces to misplace or lose. It is chrome plated with a lifetime warranty and fits the following lugs: 11/16 inch, 17 millimeters, 3/4 inch,19 millimeters, 13/16 inch, 21 millimeters, 7/8 inch, 22 millimeters.
Dorman 711-900 AutoGrade Lug Wrench
The Dorman 711-900 AutoGrade Lug Wrench is telescoping for easy storage, has a rubber grip for comfort and effort and fits 17mm, 3/4″ (19mm), 13/16″ and 7/8″. The two sockets that come with it are double ended to fit 4 different sizes.
GTE Tools – LugStrong 26″ Universal Compact Lug
- DO IT YOURSELF- LugStrong power wrench has the control of a 4 way lug wrench and more torque than a telescoping lug wrench, giving you the power needed to get yourself back on the road safely and quickly.
- EVERYTHING YOU'LL NEED- – The most common standard sockets are built into this versatile lug nut wrench: 17mm, ¾”, 19mm, 21mm, and an adapter for any other socket you need to use.
- PEACE OF MIND- Just store your LugStrong tire wrench set in your spare tire compartment; Whether you're changing your own flat or helping someone else on the road, you'll be prepared for any emergency anytime.
- DOUBLE DUTY Ultra-strong steel construction, anti-slip grip, and rust-busting torque; this universal tire change kit doubles as a high-torque breaker bar!
- GUARANTEED FOR LIFE- We designed LugStrong to be the last wheel lug wrench you ever need to own. Every wheel wrench we sell comes with a lifetime warranty.
The GTE Tools – LugStrong 26″ Universal Compact Lug Wrench Set is a pass through 4-Way style that is extra strong and can be easily disassembled for storage. Being able to adjust the depth gives you plenty of leverage and torque. It will fit 17mm, ¾”, 19mm, 21mm, and has an adapter for any other socket you may need to utilize.
The day is coming when you will have a flat tire. In all likelihood, it will actually be several days over the course of your lifetime. Why be stuck trying to get the job done with an inferior tool when for just a few dollars, you can have the peace of mind that comes with knowing you can break those lug nuts free and you will have the right size available when that moment comes?
Last update on 2021-12-01 at 12:51 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API